Kia ora, welcome to More Wisdom. My name is Steve.
We (myself and a small team) have created More Wisdom to help support people who have been exposed to pesticides, and other toxic chemicals, which have harmed their lives.
We also will provide a resource for the general public to get better informed and make better choices regarding the use of pesticides.
What is More Wisdom?
We are about promoting a mixture of empathy and knowledge, to create balance, both in thought and the environment. We wish to empower normal people to have the courage to apply the basic wisdom which we believe we already possess… which is, that poisons harm us, and that caution is always prudent when dealing with substances that can end life.
We will help people gain knowledge on pesticides and how they interact in nature and in the body.
The origins of More Wisdom started with my wife and I being exposed to a range of insecticides/fungicides and herbicides in the workplace, over a two year period, which resulted in a wide variety of symptoms – both physical and emotional.
We not only had to deal with the health effects from our exposure but also had to engage in a 2-year battle with ACC and WorkSafe NZ, to prove we had been harmed. During this process we learnt a lot about non-lethal exposures to pesticides, on humans, and contested illness.
We were both diagnosed with organophosphate poisoning, in 1996, after 2 years of being called liars by the government.
I have followed the evolving science for organophosphates for 25 years and have watched with amusement and frustration as most the symptoms I reported back in 1994 have slowly been accepted, albeit reluctantly. Despite this very few people reporting health problems from these toxins ever get government acceptance health care or compensation. This lead me to realise that there is an agenda, from medicine, not to accept that pesticides poison people, despite their origins being from the battlefields of WW2, where they were designed to kill and maim humans.
ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation, in NZ) overturned my scientific diagnosis with a medical opinion after six years. I have not held a full time job since I was poisoned, and there is a human cost which is being largely ignored by the authorities; with a denial of medical treatment and a breach of human rights for nearly all who are unlucky enough to be seriously exposed.
Recently I had an experience with a morepork (ruru) which had come into a cabin that we used to live in. I found her sitting on a couch watching me through a window in a place that my dog who died, from chemical poisoning complications, used to sit and watch me from. Looking into the morepork’s eyes, from a foot away through the window, something happened between us. After checking the Maori beliefs on a morepork coming into your home I realised this was a sign that I needed to take my experience of chemical poisoning and use it to help bring understanding and empathy towards the suffering of the forest and the people.
I later found out the morepork was one of the bird species that was in great danger from 1080 due to secondary poisoning from its predominantly rodent diet, and that many bird species were at great risk of not only lethal poisoning but also suffering long term sub-lethal effects and reproductive problems due to non-lethal exposure. We at More Wisdom wish to highlight the suffering of all non-target species, as well as condemning the use of 1080 as inhumane on all life forms.
Since having this realisation I have been drawn into the issue of indiscriminate poisoning of the NZ forests through DOC’s aerial 1080 campaign and believe, as with most unsafe pesticide usage, there always seems to be a human harm element that gets covered up. We intend to bring attention to the issue of neurotoxic harm to humans, the lack of testing or research in this area, and the implications (on both an individual and societal level) of exposing humans to powerful neurotoxins.
We at More Wisdom believe the answer to more responsible pesticide use lies within knowledge being made available, to the average person, in a form that is easy to understand. We intend to bring clarity to the issues raised by applying wisdom in a responsible and informative manner.
More Wisdom intends to:
- Support those who have been exposed to toxic substances and had their lives harmed.
- Inform the public of known pesticide health risks and associated diseases.
- Lobby locally, and internationally, for the removal of toxic substances proven to significantly harm human populations.
- Inform those working with pesticides about safer options and help workers better understand and protect their personal health through safer working practices.
- Promote sustainable pest control and horticultural practices.
- Bring attention to the worldwide pesticide problems (which we believe to be one of the largest issues facing the human race today) in both human and environmental costs.
- Raise awareness of safe food production globally.
- Help save the NZ forest and fauna from aerial pesticide applications.
- Encourage all world citizens to stop accepting dangerous neurotoxin use for pest control.
- Advocate for more wisdom to be applied to the use of all chemical substances, throughout society, and for the powers that be to better apply the “precautionary principle” of science.
- To promote the view of peaceful resistance, whilst always looking for positive solutions to our extreme problems.
“Caution is the eldest child of wisdom.” (Victor Hugo)